Business Resources

New Business DevelopmentRipon is a unique blend of a small-town quality lifestyle paired with all the factors that contribute to business success!

The City is committed to providing prospective businesses with the highest level of development support. From the day you first contact the City for information, to the day you have permitting or planning questions (Contact Planning Department: (209) 599-2108), Ripon offers access to city staff who will assist new and existing businesses with any and all aspects of development. 

The City is also affiliated with the San Joaquin Partnership, a private-public nonprofit economic development corporation designed to facilitate business and industry development.

San Joaquin Partnership

  • Comprehensive site & facility searches
  • Site location and utility cost analysis
  • Labor availability and wage information
  • Supplier and vendor product surveys
  • Project permit facilitation
  • Community data and location tours

The Partnership provides confidential, comprehensive service and assistance from initial project/site inquiries to project completion, without obligation.

San Joaquin Partnership
2800 West March Lane, Suite 470
Stockton, CA 95219

Web Site:

Phone: (209) 956-3380
(800) 570-JOBS

City of Ripon Requirements

Who must get a Business License?

Anyone wishing to carry on commerce within the corporate City limits must first obtain a City Business License; the business doesn’t have to be physically located in Ripon. (Ord. 477 § 2 (part), 1991)

Issuance of a business license evidences that the person(s), firm or corporation has paid the applicable fee required by the City of Ripon Code. Issuance of a business license does not relieve the applicant of the requirements to comply with other regulations of city, county, state or federal government agencies, nor does it constitute endorsement of the applicant, his/her employees or product by the City or its employees.

Where do I get a License?

Applications may be picked up at City Hall, 259 N. Wilma Avenue
Office Hours are 7:30 a.m. through 5:30 p.m., Monday thru Thursday. 

You can request an application by mail. Please address your request to:

City of Ripon
259 N. Wilma Avenue
Ripon, CA 95366
Attention: Joanne

You can also phone Joanne with your request at City Hall -- (209) 599-2108

or email her at

Applications are also available to download.

What is the Cost?

The License Fee is based on business type such as retail, service, professional, contractor, manufacturer, solicitor, etc.

In accordance with the Bay Area Consumer Price Index, license fees vary from year to year. Please refer to the “Business License Fee Schedule” for current rates.

One owner and spouse are included in the Base License Fee; any other owners, partners, etc. are considered employees. An annual fee is charged per employee working in Ripon. Please refer to the "Business License Fee Schedule" for the current rate.

How long is my Business License good for?

Business Licenses are issued in January of each year and expire on December 31st the same year. For new Business License Applicants, fees are not prorated. The total annual fee is required regardless of the date applying; however, any completed Applications received after November 30th of the current year will be processed for the next year. Renewal notices are mailed in December as a courtesy reminder. Payment is due on January 1st and considered delinquent if not received by January 31st. A late charge will be assessed if not received by January 31st.

If you are no longer conducting business in Ripon, you must notify the Business License Division in writing; otherwise, it will be assumed that you are still conducting business in Ripon and you will continue to receive notices requesting payment. 

What if I have more than one Business?

Separate Business Licenses, including appropriate fees, are required for each business carried on at the same location or elsewhere within City limits. Proof, however, may be submitted to the City Clerk of the City of Ripon that a particular business which is carried on at the same location is not in fact a separate and distinct business operation, and that the business activities of said business are connected with, a part of, and necessary to the operation and performance of other licensed business activity for which a business license is required which is also carried on at the same business location. (Ord. 507 §2, 1992)

Can I operate from my home?

Certain types of businesses are allowed to operate from the home. They are generally limited to those which use equipment normally found in the home.

For home based businesses, a Home Occupation Permit is required in addition to a Business License. This permit is good for two calendar years effective January 1st. Fees are not prorated. Applications are available at City Hall or can be mailed upon request. For more information on Home Occupation Permits, contact City Hall.

How long does it take before I receive my License?

Please allow one to two weeks for processing and approval of your Business License Application. When a Home Occupation Permit is required, please allow an additional two weeks.

Fictitious Business Name

If you plan to use a fictitious name for your business, you must obtain a Fictitious Business Permit from the San Joaquin County Recorder’s Office (209) 468-3939.

Are there exemptions?

Exemptions from the business license requirements are granted to those engaged in the following:

Banks and Financial Institutions.

Churches, religious societies, fraternal societies, patriotic societies or charitable societies located within the city; provided no other person, firm, co-partnership or corporation derives any profit, compensation or direct benefit from any business enterprise by any of the foregoing undertaken or joined in. Those churches, religious societies, fraternal societies, patriotic societies or other charitable societies located outside the city shall file a Non-Profit Business Permit Application with the city for obtaining a free license for soliciting within the city limits.

Doctors, lawyers, architects, dentists and other similar professional persons not having a fixed place of business within the city who are called upon to come to the city to render occasional isolated services unless on a regularly scheduled basis.

Farmers, Poultrymen or Horticulturists who may sell exclusively their own produce grown by themselves, either at their homes or farms or by house-to-house sale.

Insurance Companies.

Trucking, transport or hauling companies, or deliverymen who are called upon to come into the city to render occasional services for another entity.

NOTE: Exemption from the business license requirements does not exempt you from other permits/licenses that may pertain to your business.

Who can I contact for assistance?

Should you have any other questions regarding Business License Applications, call Joanne at City Hall: (209) 599-2108. 

You can also contact Joanne by email at

up arrow

City of Ripon | All Rights Reserved | Powered by CivicLive | © 2021 Intrado Corporation.