These museums are maintained by docents selected by the Historical Museum Commission, and headed up by Commissioner John Mangelos.
Clarence Smit Museum
In July 2011, the Clarence Smit Museum was moved from Stouffer Park to the new location in the old Library building at 430 W. Main Street. Open on Wednesdays & Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. or by appointment.
Please call Connie at (209) 985-3186 with questions or appointment requests.
Clarence Smit was the City Administrator from 1972 to 1988. He was a charter member of the Ripon Historical Society, and his work enabled the construction of the first museum building. The museum was completed after his death, and it was named in honor of his memory.
Veteran's Memorial Museum
Mr. Mangelos also led the way for the old city hall, located at 311 First Street, to be saved from destruction, and refurbished for the Veteran's Memorial Museum and Memorial Wall. This project was built by volunteers with donations from the community, local businesses, and developers. The Veteran's Museum is open every - Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Police Officers Memorial
The memorial is located at 311 First Street, next to the Veteran's Memorial Museum. The memorial honors those Ripon officers, who gave their lives 'In The Line of Duty' serving the citizens of Ripon.
Historic Ripon Jail House
The jail was constructed in 1925 and used by Ripon's constable John Garrison and the county sheriff. Ripon contractor L. Ubels built the jail for $2,498.00. The jail was originally erected on a lot at North Walnut Street, at the intersection of the railroad right of way. On December 3, 1957 it was raised off its foundation and relocated to its current location at First and Locust Street. The jail consists of two cells and a small office.
The jail is open on the first Saturday of each month from 10:00 a.m. to noon.